Monday, February 8, 2010

TUTORIAL: reverse applique hand print

my sister-in-law and i just finished a family tree keepsake quilt for my mother-in-law.
here's a tutorial on the reverse applique hand prints that are on the quilt. we made 23, for all of her kids, their spouses and of course the grand kids!

1. trace hand onto paper and then go around the handprint with a black marker to insure traceability.
2. tape print right side down or towards the window. tape hand fabric right side down.
3. trace around the hand with a pencil on the wrong side of the fabric.
4. find a bowl or something round that fits nicely around the hand print. trace around the bowl onto light weight fusible web.
5. ruffly cut out hand and circle.
6. iron circle onto the fabric you have chosen for the circle portion of your hand print. cut out the circle and remove paper from the back.
7. place the hand print right side down on the back of your circle piece. with your free-hand motion foot, sew around the hand print 2-3 times.
8. carefully cut the circle fabric from the inside of the handprint. trim the hand fabric on the back of the circle to insure as much fusible web is showing as possible.
voila! your completed hand print!

we added names on ours to make sure we could tell who's was who's. we then ironed them onto the quilt and blanket stitched around them.

i think with this extra one i made for the tutorial i might frame it for in my little boys room or make a throw pillow out of it!

oh the possibilities!

UPDATE * here's the post about the quilt and the inspiration behind it!
MORE pic's can be found HERE!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Such a cute idea! I would love to see a picture of the quilt with all the handprints.

Rachel said...

Sandra- I think that is a great idea. I can see how it would add dimension to the quilt. Can't wait to see how the whole thing looks!

Lisa said...

Of course you make it sound so easy! I LOVE the way it turned out! You guys create the most wonderful keepsakes. I think the whole family will love looking at this for years to come! AWESOME job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

This is adorable. I love the fabric combiniations. I've made a few using your tutorial and added them to newborn onsies and love the product. I'll be linking back to your tutorial when I get my post completed.

http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com